Alice in Time

About the Blog
This is a blog about all things Alice, constructed by Sally Odgers, winner of the 2018 Alice Award. My home page is at https://sallybyname.weebly.com where you'll find the gateway to my maze of websites and blogs. You can contact me in the comments section of this blog, or via the details given at my home page.

Several years ago, I teamed up with an English poet whom I knew as MercurySeven. He was a young man and I was a middle-aged woman, but we both frequented a particular writing site and we shared a fascination for science fiction, steampunk themes and metrical verse. Just for fun, we wrote a series of poems based on a particular Time Machine. We loosely took it in turns to take the TM for a spin. One of my pieces was called Alice in Time. It's years since I collaborated with Merc but I hope he's happy and writing up a storm.





Alice in the time machine is running out of reasons 
Careering her career path and sampling the seasons 
Returning unknown items she supposes she will borrow 
Looking forward to yesterday, remembering tomorrow. 

Alice is addicted to necessity of chance 
Forgotten is her wedding day, untasted, her romance; 
She can't recall the moment when she boarded this machine 
The babe she bore unfathered? Oops. Amnesiac? Obscene? 

In and out the centuries, uncentred by degree 
Down the escalator to the top by time's decree 
Tilting up to cloudiness to land the time machine 
Alice can't remember if she's ninety or nineteen. 

Alice in the time machine is crying as she smiles 
Sunshowering to eternity to dance a million miles 
Love her as she passes you but never try to follow 
Lest you join her in her yesterdays remembering tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Alice Award

Goldie Down the Rabbit Hole with Alice